CodeWeavers, who makes the CrossOver program for running Windows programs on the Mac, just came out with version 12. Of special interest to me was the new Mac Driver feature. This allows CrossOver to run Windows programs without using the X Window system. As I have mentioned before, there were problems where if a Mac window got on top of a RootsMagic window, clicking on the RootsMagic window would not bring it back to the top. With the Mac Driver on CrossOver 12 this now works. All it takes is an easy configuration change.
CodeWeavers is enabling the Mac Driver slowly as they consider it to be an experimental feature. If you want to try it, though, just do the following:
- In CrossOver go to Configure->Manage Bottles.
- Pick the bottle running RootsMagic.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click the box for Enable Experimental Mac Driver
- Close the window and start up RootsMagic. The window behavior should now be normal.